This was originally part of the estates of Peterborough Abbey, owned by them probably from Saxon times. It was given as part of the endowment of the Convent of St. Michael, Stamford Baron, by William Waterfall, Abbot of Peterborough, in 1156 when he founded the Convent, to which endowment additions were made by;-
- Grace Humilie early in the 13th. Century
- The purchase of reclaimed land in Northwood, Thurlby, in 1279,
- The gift of land at Obthorpe in 1290 by Roger La Kew and Alexander Lucas,
- The gift of land at Obthorpe in 1291 by Alan Cook.
The Convent leased their estate in Thurlby:
- 1452 to Simon Hareby, knight
- 1475 to William Bloodless of Thurlby
- 1537 to Thomas Tholmowode
- 1538 to Robert Weldon or Isaac Mychill
- 1539 to Robert of Wilsthorpe.
At the suppression of the Convent the estate was, presumably confiscated by the Crown, and it passed, by exchange of lands, to Eton College in 1546, “to whom it was granted by Letters Patent in 1547. After acquiring the estate, Eton College had Terriers drawn up in 1552, 1554 and 1559, and Surveys made in 1566 and 1615.
With the ownership of this land went the Lay Impropriatorship, or responsibility for the maintenance of the fabric of the Chancel of the Parish Church, which responsibility is still theirs.
Particulars of the leases that follow appear in Eton College Records.
- 1560 To Richard Harobye
- 1580 To Thomas Cecill of Burlegh, the eldest son of Lord Burghley.
Rent, 20 quarters of malt, £13.8s.0d and a boar at Christmas, with the liability to provide for the lessors and their horses should they visit the farm, and food for two days and two nights
1609 – to Henry Stoyte of Castor, gent. Nicholas Stoyte of Uffington, gent and Tobie Stoyte of Workesworth, clerk. Rent, £l0.14s.8d. and 20 quarters of malt, and a boar or the money equivalent
1609 – 1613 to Henry Stoyte of Castor, gent. Nicholas Stoyte of Uffington gent, and William Stoyte of Coventry, mercer
1613 – 1624 to Henry Stoyte of Thurlby, gent. Dorothy widow of Nicholas Stoyte, and William Trolloppe of Thurlby, gent. Rent, £10.14s.8d. and 20 quarters of malt, 8 quarters of wheat, and a boar or its value.
1624 – 1637 to Dorothy Stoyte widow, John Stoyte of Thurlby,gent.-and William Trolloppe of Thurlby, gent.
1637 – 1653 to Dorothy Stoyte widow, James Trolloppe of Thurlby,gent, and Stephen Smith of Thurlby, yeoman.
1653 – ? to Simon Degge of Thurlby, esq. and Alice his wife.
? – 175? to Alice Minshull of London, spinster.
1768 – 1772 to John Hubbard of Thurlby, yeoman
1772 – to Richard Hubbard of Thurlby, yeoman At this time the Eton College estate in Thurlby was about 120 acros which, with the great tithe, was worth about£1500
1786 – 1793 to Joseph Pare of Bourne, draper.
1793 – 1804 to Lord Brownlow of Belton Park. Rents 576 gallons of wheat and 1,440 gallons of malt
1804 – 1816 to Thomas Rawnsley of Bourne, gent, and William Hardwick of Market Deeping, gent.
Buildings costing £1,520 were erected at The Grange in 1807 – 1808. At this time the Eton College estate in Thurlby was about 427 acres, including the enclosures of the common and open fields
- 1816 – 1832 to Robert Steevens Harrison of Thurlby, grazier,
- 1832 – 1841 to Thomas Sturton of Holbeach, gent. Alfred Harrison of Thurlby, gent, the Rev. William Tennant of Castle Bytham, John Linnoy of South Witham, farmer and grazier, and Edward Arden of Morton, gent
- 1841 – ? to Robert Hawkins Nicholls of Bourne, gent
- ? – 1848 to Harriet Harper of Stamford widow, Eleanor Thompson of Taunton spinster, William Thompson of Stamford, gent, and the Rev.William Tennant of Castle Bytham
- 1848 – 1868 to Thomas Cook Hubbard of Witham–on-the-Hill, farmer and grazier.
- 1868——– to William Hubbard of Thurlby, farmer and grazier,
The existing residence displays a tablet with the date l877, which suggests when it was built.
- Mr Callis Bell bought The Grange from Eton College.
- Mr A.Holbourne bought it from Mr.Callis Bell.
- Mr F. Richardson of Morton bought it from Mr A. Holbourne
- Mr J.K. Gandy bought it from Mr F. Richardson, 1938.
- Mrs R.H. Cooke received it by bequest from Mr J.K.Gandy, 1960