Land has ever been an important form of wealth, especially during feudal times, when ownership involved obligations for feudal service. From this service religious bodies were to a certain extent exempt. They therefore took care to preserve the records of any lands transferred to them to show that they held them lawfully. Many of these records still exist. From time to time courts of law heard disputes regarding land, and records of these were kept, many such medieval documents axe still preserved in the Public Record Office in London. From such records we learn the names of persons who owned land in this parish, other than those already mentioned such as Peterborough Abbey and others.
In 1243 Walter De Coventre held in Thurlby two parts of a knight’s fee of Fulk De Orreby of the honour of Ferrars.
- In 1245 there was a lawsuit heard at Lincoln between Geoffrey De La Mare as plaintiff and Richard, Abbot of Crowland, regarding fishing rights in the waters of Catebrigg. The Abbot held a manor in Baston, and one supposes it extended as far north as the River Glen, The outcome was that the Abbot recognised Geoffrey’s ownership of the fishing rights in the waters opposite the land in Thurlby that Geoffrey owned. This is of interest today because it indicates that the name of Kates Bridge goes back at least as far as the 13th Century. It also helps to identify the situation of some of the lands held by the De La Mare family.
- In 1250 Nicholas De Curzon, plaintiff, and William De Curzon had a lawsuit, also hoard at Lincoln, about the ownership of about 186 acres in Thurlby. Nicholas won his case, but there is no indication where the land lay.
- Roger Cook, son of Alan Cook of Obthorpe seems to have reclaimed some land from forest conditions in a district of the parish called Northwood. This was eventually bought from him in 1279 bySt. Michael’s Convent. Later in 1291 Roger gave them some land in Obthorpe. There is a field on the east side of Mrs J.H. Gray’s bungalow at Obthorpe known as The Huns; perhaps that name identifies Roger’s gift.
- In 1288 a survey was made of the property of the Barony of Bayoux, which included about 40 acres in Thurlby, worth ten shillings and eight pence an acre per annum. This was held by Geoffrey De Brunn (or Bourne), There is no hint where this land was situated.
- In 1290 Roger Le Kew of Thurlby and Alexander Lucas of Stamford gave some land in Obthorpe to St. Michael’s Convent, but how much is not stated
- In 1346 John De Coventre owned the family estate. In the same year Thomas De Wasteneys held land in the parish of the fee of Stafford